TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS

TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS

Thursday, June 27, 2024

NO MATTER WHAT SHAPE...

 by Phillip Starr

Back when I managed my own full-time martial arts school, I had many prospective enrollees come in and inquire about classes. It wasn't unusual for them to tell me something like, “I'll start classes once I'm in better shape...” Or something like that. That always struck me as making about as much sense as someone saying, “I'll start school when I'm smart enough.”

I tell prospective students who are concerned about their lack of fitness (as well as those who feel that they're in very good shape) that I always assume that every new student is in terrible shape. They won't be expected to be especially flexible or strong when they first begin... Anyway, I prefer flexibility over strength.

A new student (or even a current one) who works at becoming stronger by developing large muscles will find it's a hindrance in his training with me. But most new prospective students are at the other end of the spectrum; they feel that they're not fit enough to begin martial arts training. Maybe they expect to be asked to perform very high kicks or gymnastic-style aerobics but they needn't fear that at all!

I do want to ensure that their health will not be impaired by rigorous exercise and I always check to see if they have any health conditions that might be at risk. If they have a risky condition, I require that they obtain a doctor's note giving them permission to begin training. But most prospective enrollees are more than healthy enough to start training. They may lack flexibility and feel that they're not very strong physically, but the most important requirements are their spirit and desire to learn.





No comments:

Post a Comment