TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS

TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS

Friday, June 9, 2023

COMFORT ZONES

 by Phillip “Pete” Starr

This article likely won't make me many new friends, but here goes anyway...
 
There is a saying that tells us, “Comfort zones are very comfortable places, but nothing ever grows in them.” Most of us will readily agree with this statement but do we consider just what it implies? As human beings, we prefer comfort to discomfort and pleasure rather than pain. That's only natural. But as martial artists, we must often lay our preferences aside...

Comfort zones come in two parts; physical and psychological. The physical comfort zone is one wherein you feel physically comfy...warm and cozy and all that. There's no pain, no strain or discomfort. And as human beings, we tend to prefer that.


The psychological comfort zone is one wherein you are familiar with your surroundings (including people) and the activities that occur there.

But training in martial arts is a bit different.

As we engage in training, certain postures or movements are often very uncomfortable and even downright painful. Have you ever considered that sometimes it's supposed to feel that way? Over the years that I have been involved in teaching martial arts, I've encountered countless people who complain that “I can't do this movement because I have a bad back/trick knee/toothache/insert one ailment or another here...” To me, most such statements are just so much extra baggage that they bring to class. It's going to weigh them down and hold them back, maybe even stopping their progress altogether.


Now, I'm not saying that you should be foolish and worsen a given condition but...

I remember a karate classmate of mine named LeRoy Fulmer. I'll never forget him. He was a very strong young man of about 16 yrs. when he broke one of his legs (not as a result of training). But he wasn't about to let that stop him. He'd show up for class on crutches, somehow manage to get into his karategi, and sit on the sidelines and watch as we were put through our paces. He'd practice the punches and blocks as he sat there. Every. Class. As soon as the cast was removed, he'd limp through the kata (even though he couldn't yet kick with one leg). This actually enhanced his recovery time and he was soon training normally again!


I have a herniated vertebra in my lower back. When it occurred, the pain was unbearable, radiating all the way down my leg. But I never stopped training (although it did slow me down for a bit) and with the help of proper diet/herbs, the condition improved and no longer bothers me at all.


While in China, I suffered a stroke. When I regained consciousness, I was in a Chinese hospital, unable to walk and I could hardly even speak coherently. My first thoughts were about how this might affect my training. I resolved to be able to walk and train normally again! This stroke was NOT going to stop me and end my progress! And so I began, moving very slowly at first and then gradually it became easier (over months of daily practice). When I could walk again, I began practicing taijiquan. This was extremely uncomfortable physically and even more so mentally. But I persevered. It would have been easy to give up and stay in a more comfortable place, but I've never been one to be satisfied with that. Progress was very slow and often painful. After two years, I was almost 100% recovered. To this day, I persist in moving forward. I want to be BETTER than I was before the stroke! And I'll get there.


I've had students who had lost an arm or a leg. They never allowed that to stop them from training. A friend of mine, Mr. Tony Brown, is a very well-known and respected teacher of Hung-Ga kung-fu...and he has only one arm. But his skill is very high! He didn't use his “handicap” as an excuse or extra baggage. It is what it is, and he continues to train and teach to this day.


Some people argue that they can't stretch because of whatever, and they tell me that vigorous stretching isn't really necessary or even particularly helpful, anyway. Some have even argued that stretching is actually counter-productive to progress in a given martial art. To me, the translation is, “It's uncomfortable and I don't like to do it.” Many people (probably most) find standing in zhan-zhuang (stake standing) postures to be quite painful. Oftentimes, they'll then creatively come up with a reason(s) why they can't (or shouldn't) do it... same translation.


At the same time, train smart. Train hard, but not foolishly. And never haphazardly. However, be aware of the pitfall of the Comfort Zone.

You have to have a goal. Without a goal, you don't know where you're going and a compass won't help. So what's bigger, your excuses or your goals? Don't stunt your own growth by staying in a warm, fuzzy place...






No comments:

Post a Comment