TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS

TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS

Friday, December 16, 2022

MORE THAN TECHNIQUE

 by Phillip Starr

For all the attention that is, and must be, given to learning proper techniques, there is a subtle development that is also being fostered. Our instructors constantly correct our movements, berate us for doing them incorrectly, and insist that we repeat them over and over. I remember my own primary gong-fu teacher, W. C. Chen, making us perform punches over and over until I literally thought I was going to puke! He didn't appear to care; he was focused on our performance...and as I got older, I realized that he was also watching something else. Something none of us could see. But he could.

When we made to stand in the horse-riding posture for extended periods, I began to refer to the practice as a “religious experience” because I thought I could see God! Our legs would burn and shake uncontrollably...and then, one by one, we'd collapse in a heap. I'd struggle back to my feet and start again as did most of my classmates. A few would just sit for several minutes, rubbing their legs. They wouldn't be back. But those of us who persisted with the exercise would...


There were numerous other forms of self-torture that we were admonished to practice...every day (like the xingyiquan posture of santi). And then there were the basics that we repeated incessantly, until both our bodies and minds became numb. And the forms...over and over again and again. And again. Many times I wondered if my body could continue to take it.


Small injuries such as split lips, bloodied nose, muscle spasms...were patched on the spot and we'd continue with practice. Gut it out. We thought nothing of it. We got stronger but more importantly, we became mentally tougher. And that's what our teacher was looking for; the development of an indomitable spirit, the willingness to persevere regardless of what we had to endure.


It prepared us not only for personal combat, but for life.






No comments:

Post a Comment